News and research
Recent research-based events
The Global Women’s Leadership Programme was pleased to present an event sharing some of the excellent research from Bayes on women on corporate boards in April 2022. “Women on Corporate Boards: Why Boards need women, and the career path to get there” featured Professor Barbara Casu, Dr Sonia Falconieri and Dr Hans Frankort. Watch the Women on Corporate Boards event here.
The Business School has a number of faculty members working to develop the conversation on gender-balanced leadership.
Female-led deals still achieving lower announcement returns
Acquisitions led by female CEOs or companies with at least 30 per cent female representation at board level are still achieving lower announcement returns than those led by males and male-dominated boardrooms, despire performing better overall. This new report for SS&C Intralinks into the role of gender diversity in the M&A market.
Gender Diversity and Dealmaking
March 2022, Dr Valeriya Vitkova, Senior Research Fellow at the Bayes M&A Research Centre (MARC), is the lead researcher on “Gender Diversity and Dealmaking 2022” - an analysis of the impact of female CEOs and board-level gender diversity on M&A. This research was commissioned by SS&C Intralinks (a cloud-based financial technology provider) and it shows how gender-diverse leadership during the pandemic delivered superior post-M&A performance and why women CEOs still face greater challenges than their male counterparts. This analysis is an update to the earlier report published in 2020 by the MARC in collaboration with SS&C Intralinks.
Enforcing gender quotas increases boardroom diversity and quality
July, 2020, This research from Dr Sonia Falconieri studied the boards of companies across a 14-year period – and found that that companies forced to comply with gender diversity regulations have significantly higher female representation on their board of directors. Another study looking at the ‘quality’ of the boards under gender quota guidelines showed no deterioration in cases of high diversity, and in several cases improved where quotas were mandatory.
Read the full article on the impact of gender quotas.
Gender Diversity and M&A Outcomes
February, 2020 Research from Scott Moeller at the M&A Research Centre at The Business School and SS&C Intralinks (a cloud-based financial technology provider) addresses how female board-level representation affects corporate deal making. While gender-balanced boards are well-received externally, there is still much to be done before female CEOs are accurately perceived and valued by the markets and wider stakeholders.
Read the full report on gender diversity at CEO and board-level.
Gender-diverse boardrooms reduce bank misconduct penalties by $7.48m per year, study finds
December, 2019 Greater female representation in the boardroom attracts fewer fines from authorities in misconduct cases, says this research from authors including Barbara Casu Lukac and Dr Angela Gallo. Analysis uncovered data suggesting that banks with strong diversity at the top were more compliant and tended to avoid the same level of financial punishment compared to those with male-dominated boardrooms, with significant equivalent savings of $7.48 million per year. The full research on gender-divsrse boardrooms is published here.
See all of the latest news about the Bayes Global Women's Leadership project.
- Why do corporate boards need more women? A panel event exploring the measures for achieving greater gender parity.
- Meet Alex Skailes - Director at the Bayes Centre for Charity Effectiveness (CCE) appointed Chair of the GWLP’s Executive Board
- Meet Diana Squires Master’s in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership graduate and GWLP Scholar
- GWLP Director talks to Oxford Women in Business Society
- Doughnut economics: from radical idea to transformative action
- Dr Janina Steinmetz appointed a Programme Director
- Achieving professional success amid the Covid-19 pandemic
- The privilege of power: how women in business can leverage their leadership to create more equitable workplaces
- How we identify: a critical moment in levelling the playing field
- Meet Kiara Goodwin - full-time MBA student and GWLP scholar
- Meet Pallavi Tyagi, the MSc Investment Management Scholar on the Global Women’s Leadership Programme
- The value of equality and diversity in the workplace
- Developing Executive Presence: Building Trust to Becoming an Inspiring Leader
- The New Negotiation - Negotiation expert Natalie Reynolds delivers online masterclass for Bayes Global Women’s Leadership Programme
Bayes Business School welcome Sir Philip Hampton and Denise Wilson OBE of The Hampton-Alexander Review to Bunhill Row for a discussion on the importance of gender equity on boards.
“We need to have talent equally distributed – it’s good for business to have the best people and that should include women. We have learned the lesson from the financial crisis when boards were stuffed with men. Diversity is important for rich debate and boards need people who will ask difficult questions.”
Read the full story, The importance of gender equality on FTSE.
- Taking radical action on inclusion - a new book on inclusion by the Chair of our Global Women’s Leadership Executive Board, Alison Maitland.
- Bayes women appear at Financial Times Women at the Top 2019
- Gender-diverse boardrooms reduce bank misconduct penalties by $7.48m per year, study finds
- Bayes women appear at Financial Times Women at the Top 2019
- Alison Maitland appointed Chair of Bayes Global Women’s Leadership programme Executive Board
- Successful female leaders: Understanding the motivations and context
- The Bayes Global Women's Leadership Programme recently hosted a successful panel discussion with Priscilla Elora Sharuk and Zara Martirosyan about their entrepreneurial journey in the Middle East
- CGWLP director Dr Canan Kocabasoglu Hillmer joins Yahoo Finance Presents: It’s a Jungle Out There for their episode on Queen Bees.
- Bayes alumna Colettee Delaney named CEO of CIBC CIBC FirstCaribbean International Bank
- Students, staff and alumni recently took part in The Impact Factor, a news and current affairs style programme.
- Former Chief Executive Officer of Lloyd’s of London, Dame Inga Beale DBE, discussed her wide-ranging career during a talk with Dr Canan Kocabasoglu-Hillmer
- Scholars, alumnae and staff from the Bayes Global Women’s Leadership Programme attended the Financial Times Women at the Top Summit.
- Marty Wikstrom spoke at Bayes in June as the keynote to this year's Global Women's Leadership Programme.
- Exploring the progression of female leaders
- For International Women's Day this year we held 'Respect at work: how to command it and when to demand it'.
- Business School Dean Professor Marianne Lewis appears in the Financial Times, writing about the importance of gender balance on event panels
- Watch Marianne Lewis, Dean at the Business School, speak about gender equality at business schools to CNBC.
- Mr Muhtar Kent meets Coca-Cola Global Women’s Leadership Programme scholars
- Artis Kakonge, recipient of the prestigious Coca-Cola Women's Leadership MBA scholarship, aims to improve access to justice through MBA
- Dr Canan Kocabasoglu-Hillmer appointed Director of Global Women’s Leadership.