Dr Yiannis Kyratsis
- +44 (0)20 7040 5855
Visit Yiannis Kyratsis
Room M107A, Myddelton Street Building [M]
Yiannis is Senior Lecturer in Health Management and Leadership. He is also Visiting Scientist at Harvard University T.H. School of Public Health and Honorary Research Fellow at Imperial College London. He is Associate of the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management and the Associate Editor of BMC International Health & Human Rights. He previously worked at the Faculty of Medicine and the Business School of Imperial College London. His primary research interests include the diffusion of health innovations, institutional and professional identity change, health system reforms and the implementation of evidence-informed interventions in healthcare. His research has been published in top management, medical and health services research journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Lancet Infectious Diseases, Clinical Infectious Diseases, BMJ Open, Implementation Science.
- PhD in Health Management & Organisation Studies, Imperial College Business School, United Kingdom
- MSc in Health Care Management, Imperial College Business School, United Kingdom
- PG Diploma in Diffusion of Innovations, Imperial College Business School, United Kingdom
- PG Diploma in International Health Management, Imperial College Business School, United Kingdom
- DVM in Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Visiting Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor), City, University of London, Jan 2020 – present
- Honorary Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) Health Management and Leadership, City, University of London, Jul 2019 – present
- Associate Professor Organization Theory, VU University Amsterdam, Jul 2019 – present
- Senior Lecturer in Health Management & Leadership, City, University London, Oct 2013 – Jun 2019
Memberships of professional organisations
- Pan-Hellenic Veterinary Association (2000); Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (2002); Hellenic Geotechnical Chamber (2005); European Group of Organizational Studies (2007); Academy Health (2008); European Health Management Association (2008); Transition Countries Network for Senior Health Managers & Health Policy Makers (2009); New Institutionalism Network (2011); OTReG-Organization Theory Research Group (2011); Society for Studies in Organizing Healthcare (2013)
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Greek, Modern (1453-) (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
Thesis title: Multiple identities in context: a narrative analysis of health care seeking behaviour and the lived experiences of migrant men selling sex in London
Thesis title: How do different agencies manage public health issues during mass gatherings: an in-depth case study of 2012 London Olympics
- Kyratsis, Y., Atun, R., Phillips, N., Tracey, P. and George, G. (2017). Healthcare in Transition: Professional Identity Work in the Context of Shifting Institutional Logics. Academy of Management Journal, 60(2), pp. 610–641. doi:10.5465/amj.2013.0684.
- Kyratsis, Y. (2016). Issues of governance in implementing complex policy innovations: lessons from the uptake of primary healthcare reforms in Estonia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. In Greer, S.L., Wismar, M. and Figueras,, J. (Eds.), Strengthening Health System Governance. Better policies, stronger performance (pp. 223–244). Open University Press. ISBN 978-0-335-26134-5.
- Ziemann, A., Chen, Y., Kyratsis, Y., Stavropoulou, C. and Scarbrough, H. (2019). What makes innovations both 'stick' and 'spread'? A multidisciplinary systematic review to understand implementation depth and scale-up of innovations in healthcare.
Journal articles (25)
- Janssen, C., Kover, I., Kyratsis, Y., Kop, M., Boland, M., Boersma, F.K. … Cremers, A.L. (2023). The corona pandemic and participatory governance: Responding to the vulnerabilities of secondary school students in Europe. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 88, pp. 103608–103608. doi:10.1016/j.ijdrr.2023.103608.
- Kyratsis, Y., Scarbrough, H., Begley, A. and Denis, J.-.L. (2022). Editorial: Digital health adoption: Looking beyond the role of technology. Frontiers in Digital Health, 4. doi:10.3389/fdgth.2022.989003.
- Scarbrough, H. and Kyratsis, Y. (2022). From spreading to embedding innovation in health care: Implications for theory and practice. Health Care Management Review, 47(3), pp. 236–244. doi:10.1097/hmr.0000000000000323.
- Wilkinson, H., McGraw, C., Chung, K. and Kyratsis, Y. (2022). “Can I exercise? Would it help? Would it not?”: exploring the experiences of people with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis engaging with physical activity during a relapse: a qualitative study. Disability and Rehabilitation pp. 1–12. doi:10.1080/09638288.2022.2084774.
- Kyratsis, Y., Scarbrough, H., Ahmad, R. and Ziemann, A. (2020). Beyond Barriers: Organizational Implementation Processes Shaping Technology Innovation Outcomes in H. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2020(1), pp. 21555–21555. doi:10.5465/ambpp.2020.21555abstract.
- Kyratsis, Y., Ahmad, R., Iwami, M., Castro‐Sánchez, E., Atun, R. and Holmes, A.H. (2019). A multilevel neo‐institutional analysis of infection prevention and control in English hospitals: coerced safety culture change? Sociology of Health & Illness. doi:10.1111/1467-9566.12897.
- Bistaraki, A., McKeown, E. and Kyratsis, Y. (2019). Leading interagency planning and collaboration in mass gatherings: public health and safety in the 2012 London Olympics. Public Health, 166, pp. 19–24. doi:10.1016/j.puhe.2018.09.031.
- Mizuno, S., Iwami, M., Kunisawa, S., Naylor, N., Yamashita, K., Kyratsis, Y. … Ahmad, R. (2018). Comparison of national strategies to reduce meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in Japan and England. Journal of Hospital Infection, 100(3), pp. 280–298. doi:10.1016/j.jhin.2018.06.026.
- Clack, L., Zingg, W., Saint, S., Casillas, A., Touveneau, S., da Liberdade Jantarada, F. … Sax, H. (2018). Implementing infection prevention practices across European hospitals: an in-depth qualitative assessment. BMJ Quality & Safety, 27(10), pp. 771–780. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2017-007675.
- Hansen, S., Schwab, F., Gastmeier, P., Zingg, W., Pittet, D., Zingg, W. … Wu, A.W. (2018). Association of national and hospital factors to hospitals' alcohol-based handrub consumption in Europe: results of the European PROHIBIT study. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 24(7), pp. 778–778. doi:10.1016/j.cmi.2017.10.015.
- Alzahrani, F. and Yiannis, K. (2017). Emergency nurse disaster preparedness during mass gatherings: a cross-sectional survey of emergency nurses' perceptions in hospitals in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. BMJ Open, 7(4). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013563.
- Castro-Sánchez, E., Kyratsis, Y., Iwami, M., Rawson, T.M. and Holmes, A.H. (2016). Serious electronic games as behavioural change interventions in healthcare-associated infections and infection prevention and control: a scoping review of the literature and future directions. Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control, 5(1). doi:10.1186/s13756-016-0137-0.
- Kyratsis, Y., Armit, K., Zyada, A. and Lees, P. (2016). Medical leadership and management in the United Kingdom. Australasian Psychiatry, 24(3), pp. 240–242. doi:10.1177/1039856216635909.
- McKeown, E., Weir, H., Berridge, E.-.J., Ellis, L. and Kyratsis, Y. (2016). Art engagement and mental health: experiences of service users of a community-based arts programme at Tate Modern, London. Public Health, 130, pp. 29–35. doi:10.1016/j.puhe.2015.09.009.
- Hansen, S., Zingg, W., Ahmad, R., Kyratsis, Y., Behnke, M., Schwab, F. … Wu, A.W. (2015). Organization of infection control in European hospitals. Journal of Hospital Infection, 91(4), pp. 338–345. doi:10.1016/j.jhin.2015.07.011.
- Hansen, S., Schwab, F., Gastmeier, P., Pittet, D., Zingg, W., Sax, H. … Wu, A.W. (2015). Provision and consumption of alcohol-based hand rubs in European hospitals. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 21(12), pp. 1047–1051. doi:10.1016/j.cmi.2015.09.019.
- Martin, M., Zingg, W., Knoll, E., Wilson, C. and Dettenkofer, M. (2014). National European guidelines for the prevention of Clostridium difficile infection: a systematic qualitative review. Journal of Hospital Infection, 87(4), pp. 212–219. doi:10.1016/j.jhin.2014.05.002.
- Kyratsis, Y., Ahmad, R., Hatzaras, K., Iwami, M. and Holmes, A. (2014). Making sense of evidence in management decisions: the role of research-based knowledge on innovation adoption and implementation in health care. Health Services and Delivery Research, 2(6), pp. 1–192. doi:10.3310/hsdr02060.
- Charani, E., Castro-Sanchez, E., Sevdalis, N., Kyratsis, Y., Drumright, L., Shah, N. … Holmes, A. (2013). Understanding the determinants of antimicrobial prescribing within hospitals: The role of "prescribing etiquette". Clinical Infectious Diseases, 57(2), pp. 188–196. doi:10.1093/cid/cit212.
- Charani, E., Kyratsis, Y., Lawson, W., Wickens, H., Brannigan, E.T., Moore, L.S.P. … Holmes, A.H. (2013). An analysis of the development and implementation of a smartphone application for the delivery of antimicrobial prescribing policy: Lessons learnt. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 68(4), pp. 960–967. doi:10.1093/jac/dks492.
- Kyratsis, Y. and Ahmad, R. (2013). Mapping the terrain of investment in global infectious diseases. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 13(1), pp. 6–7. doi:10.1016/s1473-3099(12)70289-x.
- Kyratsis, Y., Ahmad, R. and Holmes, A. (2012). Making sense of evidence in management decisions: the role of research-based knowledge on innovation adoption and implementation in healthcare. study protocol. Implementation Science, 7(1). doi:10.1186/1748-5908-7-22.
- Ahmad, R., Kyratsis, Y. and Holmes, A. (2012). When the user is not the chooser: learning from stakeholder involvement in technology adoption decisions in infection control. Journal of Hospital Infection, 81(3), pp. 163–168. doi:10.1016/j.jhin.2012.04.014.
- Kyratsis, Y., Ahmad, R. and Holmes, A. (2012). Technology adoption and implementation in organisations: comparative case studies of 12 English NHS Trusts. BMJ Open, 2(2). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-000872.
- Atun, R.A., Kyratsis, I., Jelic, G., Rados-Malicbegovic, D. and Gurol-Urganci, I. (2006). Diffusion of complex health innovations--implementation of primary health care reforms in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Health Policy and Planning, 22(1), pp. 28–39. doi:10.1093/heapol/czl031.
- Kyratsis, Y., Ahmad, R. and Holmes, A. (2014). Understanding the Process of Innovation Adoption in 12 NHS trusts – technology selection, procurement and implementation to help reduce HCAIs. London.
- Kyratsis, Y., Ahmad, R., Koroleva, N., Farrell, S. and Holmes, A. (2011). Global Fund Country Case Studies: Critical Interactions between Global Fund-supported Programs and Health Systems, Ukraine. Geneva: The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
- Kyratsis, Y., Ahmad, R., Koroleva, N. and Holmes, A. (2011). Global Fund Country Case Studies: Critical Interactions between Global Fund-supported Programs and Health Systems, Republic of Moldova. Geneva: The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
- Atun, R.A., Kyratsis, Y., Gurol-Urganci, I. and Ahmad, R. (2008). Monitoring and evaluation of family medicine reforms in Turkey. The World Bank.
- Kyratsis, Y. (2007). Strengthening the Health System in Bosnia and Herzegovina with a focus on Family Medicine: User Perception Report. The World Health Organization.
- Kyratsis, Y. (2007). Strengthening the Health System in Bosnia and Herzegovina with a focus on Family Medicine: Institutional Assessment Report. World Health Organization.
- Atun, R.A., McKimm, J., Jollie, C., Kyratsis, Y., Maaroos, H.I., Kalda, R. … Lember, M. (2006). Evaluation of Health Management and Family Medicine Training components in the Republic of Moldova,. The World Bank.
- Atun, R.A., Kyratsis, Y., Jelic, G., Rados – Malicbegovic, D. and Grubac, Z. (2005). Review of experience of family medicine in Europe and Central Asia (Vol. 3): Bosnia and Herzegovina case study. Washington D.C.: The World Bank.
- Atun, R.A., Ibragimov, A., Ross, G., Meimanaliev, A., Havhannasiyan, S., Cibotaru, E. … Samyshkin, Y. (2005). Review of experience of family medicine in Europe and Central Asia : Executive summary. Washington D.C.: The World Bank.
Module Leader MSc Health Management:
- HMM002 Strategic Management in Healthcare
- HMM022 Management and Leadership in Healthcare
Also teach on the following MSc-level modules:
- HRM001 Introduction to Research Methods & Applied Data Analysis
- HRM020 Foundation in Research Methods & Data Analysis
- HRM011 Introduction to Research Methods & Applied Data Analysis (Online Module)
- HMM008 Health Innovation and Change
- HMM024 Health Management Consultancy
- HPM004 International Health Systems
- HS3051 Leading and Managing in Professional Practice
- HSM051 Leading and Managing in Professional Practice
Editorial activity (2)
- BMC International Health and Human Rights, Associate Editor.
- The Lancet Infectious Diseases; Social Science & Medicine; NIHR Health Services & Delivery Research Journal; Health Care Management Review; Health Services Research & Policy; Implementation Science; British Medical Journal Open; BMJ Quality & Safety; BMC International Health and Human Rights; Public Health, Reviewer.
- The co-construction of evidence in context: The sensegiver and sensemaker matter
Authors: Kyratsis, Y. and Ahmad, R. Athens Greece (2015).
Description: 31st EGOS Colloquium 04 Jul 2015, Athens Greece
- Healthcare in Transition: Shifting Institutional Logics and Individual Identity Conflict
Authors: Kyratsis, Y., Atun, R., Philips, N., George, G. Imperial College Business School (2014).
Description: Organisation Theory Research Group (jointly organised by Imperial College London & University of Cambridge)
- Limits of adoption by health professionals into practice. (2013).
Description: Pre-conference panel 6th European Public Health Conference, Brussels Mechanisms of successful knowledge transfer: operating at multiple levels of the science-policy interface.
- Making sense of evidence behind innovations: a multisite comparative study in infection prevention and control innovation in the NHS. Liverpool (2012).
Description: Kyratsis, Y., Hatzaras, K.S., Ahmad, R., Iwami, M., International Healthcare Infection Society (HIS) Conference and Federation of Infection Societies (FIS) annual conference.
- Adoption of HCAI technology & innovations presentation on research findings. (2012).
Description: Hatzaras, K., Kyratsis, Y., Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust: (Audrey Emerton Building).
- Adoption of HCAI technology & innovations presentation on research findings. Surrey (2012).
Description: Hatzaras, K.S., Kyratsis, Y. Iwami, M., HS South East Coast Directors of Infection Prevention & Control Forum (The Holiday Inn - Gatwick, Povey Cross, Horley, Surrey).
- Association for Perioperative Practice 48th Congress & Exhibition. (2012).
Description: (Invited speaker) http://afpp2012.org.uk/dr-yiannis-kyratsis.html
- The sources and types of innovation knowledge in technology adoption decisions in infection prevention and control - comparative case studies of 12 NHS trusts in England. Geneva, Switzerland (2011).
Description: 1st International Conference on Prevention & Infection Control - ICPIC 2011, (29 June - 2 July 2011) http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1753-6561-5-S6-O47.pdf
- Showcase Hospitals Conference, Department of Health HCAI Technology Innovation Programme and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. (2010).
- Institutional diffusion of a new healthcare template across the diverse cultural landscape of five European Transition Countries. Lisbon, Portugal (2010).
Description: 26th EGOS Colloquium, Sub-theme 38: 'Institutions Culture Movements'. (June 28-July 3, 2010)
- Innovation in the NHS: Insights from Case Studies on Technology Adoption to fight Healthcare Associated Infections. Boston, MA, USA (2010).
Description: 27th Academy Health Annual Research Meeting Podium Presentation, Theme: 'Role of Organizations and Management in Quality Improvement'. (June 27-29 2010)
- Adopting innovations in the NHS: Technologies to fight Healthcare Associated Infections. Manchester, UK (2010).
Description: Health Services Research and Service Delivery and Organisation Joint Network 2010 Annual Conference.
- Infection Seminars, Faculty of Medicine Imperial College London. (2010).
- Showcase Hospitals Conference: Heading towards Zero. (2010).
Description: Department of Health HCAI Technology Innovation Programme and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Faculty of Medicine, Department of Infectious Diseases & Immunity. (2010).
Description: WIP Series 2010-11
- CEELBAS Society, Culture and Politics of Eastern Europe Conference. St Antony's College, University of Oxford (2008).
- Introducing complex policy innovations: public-private mix in primary care in Estonia and Slovenia. Rome Italy (2008).
Description: 7th European Conference on Health Economics (July 23-26 2008)
- Disruption and Re-composition of an Organisational Field: the diffusion of family medicine-centred primary healthcare reforms in four European transition countries. VU University, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (2008).
Description: 24th EGOS Colloquium, Sub-theme 22: 'Institutional Work'. (July 10-12 2008)
- Diffusion across contested institutional terrains: a study of family medicine-centred primary health care reforms in Europe. Athens Greece (2008).
Description: European Health Management Association Conference (June 25-27 2008)
- Introducing complex policy innovations: public-private mix in primary care in Estonia and Slovenia. Washington D.C., USA (2008).
Description: 25th Academy Health Annual Research Meeting. (June 8-10 2008)
- Diffusion of Complex Health Innovations - the case of primary care reforms in Bosnia & Herzegovina. Budapest Hungary (2006).
Description: 5th European Conference on Health Economics (July 6-9 2006)