Stefania Zerbinati is a Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship at Bayes Business School, City University London. Before joining Bayes in 2011, she was a lecturer at the Universities of Portsmouth and Brunel University. She has a broad background in social sciences (Politics and Sociology). She is a committed academic with a dedication to quality scholarship and teaching. During 2008-2009, she was a visiting scholar at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania where she attended formal research-training.
Stefania researches entrepreneurial behaviour in local governments (public entrepreneurs) and higher education (students and academic entrepreneurs). More recently she has developed a new research stream on corporate venture capital. She has built a reputation for quality research. Her work has appeared in top outlets including the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, Journal of European Public Policy.
She has developed and managed courses in Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management targeting different audiences: undergraduates, MSc and MBA students. She employs a variety of techniques in her classes including case analyses, experiential exercises, debates, and applied group projects.
Stefania is an alumna of Babson College where she recently attended the Price-Babson Symposium for Entrepreneurship Educators.
PhD, MA and BA.
Greek, Modern (1453-) and Italian.
- Public Sector Management
Corporate Venture Capital
- Souitaris, V., Zerbinati, S., Peng, B.G. and Shepherd, D. (2020). Should I Stay or Should I go? Founder Power and Exit via Initial Public Offering. Academy of Management Journal, 63(1), pp. 64–95. doi:10.5465/amj.2017.0420.
- Blundel, R., Spence, L.J. and Zerbinati, S. (2010). Entrepreneurial Social Responsibility: Scoping the Territory. In Painter-Morland, M. and Spence, L.J. (Eds.), Ethics in Small and Medium Sized Enterprises: A Global Commentary (pp. 123–145). Dordrecht, NL: Springer.
- Zerbinati, S.Z. (2000). European Mini-States. The Annual Register ProQuest.
- Zerbinati, S. (1999). European Mini-States. The Annual Register ProQuest.
Conference papers and proceedings (2)
- Souitaris, V., Zerbinati, S., Frankort, H.T.W. and Peng, B.G. (2016). A Discussion of Categorical Imperative Mechanism on Entrepreneurial IPO Performance. doi:10.5465/ambpp.2016.16069abstract
- Zerbinati, S.Z. (2008). A comparative analysis of the EU funding process in Italian and English local government. Academy of Management Annual Meeting 8-13 August, Anaheim, CA.
Journal articles (10)
- Souitaris, V., Peng, B., Zerbinati, S. and Shepherd, D.A. (2023). Specialists, Generalists, or Both? Founders’ Multidimensional Breadth of Experience and Entrepreneurial Ventures’ Fundraising at IPO. Organization Science, 34(2), pp. 557–588. doi:10.1287/orsc.2022.1581.
- Souitaris, V. and Zerbinati, S. (2014). How do Corporate Venture Capitalists do Deals? An Exploration of Corporate Investment Practices. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 8(4), pp. 321–348. doi:10.1002/sej.1178.
- Zerbinati, S. (2012). Multi-level Governance and EU Structural Funds: An Entrepreneurial Local Government Perspective. Local Government Studies, 38(5), pp. 577–597. doi:10.1080/03003930.2011.649914.
- Souitaris, V., Zerbinati, S. and Liu, G. (2012). Which Iron Cage? Endo- and exoisomorphism in Corporate Venture Capital Programs. Academy of Management Journal, 55(2), pp. 477–505. doi:10.5465/amj.2009.0709.
- Zerbinati, S., Souitaris, V. and Moray, N. (2012). Nurture or nature? The growth paradox of research-based spin-offs. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 24(1), pp. 21–35. doi:10.1080/09537325.2012.643558.
- Zerbinati, S. (2012). A comparative analysis of the EU funding process in Italian and English local governments: a managerial perspective. Local Government Studies..
- Zerbinati, S. and Massey, A. (2008). Italian and English Local Funding Networks: Is there a Winning Formula? Local Government Studies, 34(1), pp. 81–104. doi:10.1080/03003930701770504.
- Souitaris, V., Zerbinati, S. and Al-Laham, A. (2007). Do entrepreneurship programmes raise entrepreneurial intention of science and engineering students? The effect of learning, inspiration and resources. Journal of Business Venturing, 22(4), pp. 566–591. doi:10.1016/j.jbusvent.2006.05.002.
- Zerbinati, S. and Souitaris, V. (2005). Entrepreneurship in the public sector: a framework of analysis in European local governments. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 17(1), pp. 43–64. doi:10.1080/0898562042000310723.
- Zerbinati, S. (2004). Europeanization and EU funding in Italy and England. A Comparative Local Perspective. Journal of European Public Policy, 11(6), pp. 1000–1019.
- Co-managing the Cass Entrepreneurship Fund, Entrepreneurship Stream Leader
- AoM. (Conference) Anaheim California USA (2008). Invited speaker.
Paper: A comparative analysis of the EU funding process in Italian and English local government
Author: Zerbinati s