Dr Nicole Lux is a Senior Research Fellow and Project Director at the Faculty of Finance at Cass Business School. She was previously a Vice President at Deutsche Bank where she worked in loan restructuring and workout. Nicole started her career at MSCI constructing real estate indices and portfolio analysis. From there she joined Moody’s Investor Service as a rating analyst, where she developed new rating methodologies for CMBS, real estate and fixed income funds. Afterwards she worked in a number of investment and commercial banks such as Citigroup and Danske Bank in real estate loan origination. She was responsible for deal origination and execution for commercial mortgage loans of £20 – 500m across Europe.
In 2016 Nicole took over the De Montfort Commercial Real Estate Lending project to increase transparency in commercial mortgage markets for regulators and investors. The project continues under Cass Business School under the Cass Commercial Real Estate Lending Report.
Nicole has also published a practitioner’s book on modelling real estate risk and other research papers.
She is regular conference speaker at CREFC, IPF, and MSCI and provides professional executive training through RICS, Euromoney, CREFC, Property Overview Ltd.
Her key research interests are:
• Real estate debt finance
• Credit rating
• Structured finance
• Basel regulation
• Risk pricing
- IMC, CFA Institute, United Kingdom, 2002
- PhD, University of Reading, United Kingdom, Oct 1998 – Apr 2002
- External Examiner, Oxford University, Oct 2014 – present
- Vice President, Deutsche Bank, Jan 2010 – Oct 2015
- Associate Director, Danske Bank, Jan 2008 – Oct 2009
- Associate, Citigroup, Mar 2007 – Dec 2008
- Analyst, Moody's Investor Service, Jan 2004 – Mar 2007
- Analyst, MSCI, Oct 2000 – Dec 2003
- Financial Risk & Risk Management
- Fixed-Income Investments
- Real Estate Economics
- Real Estate Finance
- Risk Modelling
- Asset Pricing
- Investment Management
- Investment Theory
- Portfolio Choice
- financial services
- real estate
- Lux, N. (2012). Assessing Real Estate Risk Applied Models, Concepts, Methods. ISBN 978-1-78137-078-0.
Journal articles (3)
- Wu, Y. and Lux, N. (2018). U.K. House Prices: Bubbles or Market Efficiency? Evidence from Regional Analysis. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 11(3), pp. 54–54. doi:10.3390/jrfm11030054.
- Lux, N. and Moss, A. (2016). Liquidity in global real estate securities markets. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, 34(4), pp. 321–346. doi:10.1108/jpif-11-2015-0078.
- Moss, A. and Lux, N. (2014). The impact of liquidity on the valuation of European real estate securities. Journal of European Real Estate Research, 7(2), pp. 139–157. doi:10.1108/jerer-12-2013-0026.
- Lux, N. (2006). Sterling-Denominated European CNAV Money Market Funds: Key Features & Trends. London: Moody's Investor Service.
- Lux, N. MBS: European Red – Yellow – Green®: An Assessment of Office Property Markets, End-2005. Moody's Investor Service.
- Tsolacos, S. and Lux, N. (2019). Modeling Credit Spreads on Commercial Mortgage Loans.
- AF Advisory (Private Sector) (Oct 2017 – Jan 2018)
Debt advisory for €100m commercial real estate portfolio for private investor
- Al Rayan Bank (Private Sector) (Oct – Dec 2015)
Implementation of rating and RoE model for commercial mortgage loans
- Danske Bank (Private Sector) (Jan – Oct 2009)
Workout of $1.3bn US commercial mortgage loan portfolio
- Commercial Real Estate Lending Results Year-end 2017. (Conference) London (2018). Invited speaker.
Paper: Commercial Real Estate Lending Results Year-end 2017
Author: Niocle Lux