Centre for Charity Effectiveness announces Advisory Board to better support nonprofit organisations
Cross-sector leaders create new board to target greater influence for the nonprofit sector.
Leaders from across all sectors have come together to form a new Centre for Charity Effectiveness (CCE) Advisory Board to enable the Centre to play a more focal role in influencing research and policymaking and to build on its existing activities.
The Advisory Board will provide expertise and assist in the development of advocacy and policy influence, as well as being an expert reference group for the executive CCE team.
The board will be chaired by Sir Stuart Etherington, Honorary Visiting Professor at the Business School (formerly Cass) in the Centre for Charity Effectiveness, Chair of The Oversight Trust, Chair of NatCen and former Chief Executive of the National Council of Voluntary Organisations.
The other board members are:
- Bayo Adelaja, Founder and CEO, Do it Now Now, founded in 2016 in response to gaps in the support available to Black innovators building tech companies and social enterprises in the UK and across Africa
- Lynne Berry CBE, chair of the Human Tissue Authority; the charity, Sustrans; a trustee of Welsh National Opera and a Honorary Visiting Professor at the Business School (formerly Cass) in the Centre for Charity Effectiveness
- The Rt Hon the Lord Paul Boateng PC DL, former Cabinet Minister and UK High Commissioner to South Africa,lawyer, MP for Brent South (1987-2005) previous ministerial roles includes Minister for Charities.
- Dame Julia Cleverdon DCVO CBE, Vice Patron, Teach First, Vice President of Business in the Community; and former Special Adviser to The Prince’s Charities Chair of Trustees, National Literacy Council
- Baroness Fleet, Veronica Wadley CBE, Co-Founder and Chair of the London Music Fund; Chair of the Department for Education’s Expert Panel for the Model Music Curriculum; former Chair of Arts Council London; Editor of the Evening Standard, deputy editor of the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail
- Richard Harries, Associate Director, Institute for Community Studies; former Deputy Director of the independent thinktank Reform; senior civil servant and trustee of the Forces in Mind Trust and Caritas Social Action Network
- Stephen Greene CBE, Founder and CEO of RockCorps, Vice Chair Young Camden Foundation, former Office for Civil Society Advisor on volunteering and youth policy, founding Chair of NCS
- Matt Hyde OBE, Chief Executive, Scouts; Trustee of Comic Relief; Patron of UNLOCK; former Chief Executive of the National Union of Students
- Sushil Saluja, Chair, Heart of the City; Trustee of the British Council; Governor of Greenwich University
- Dame Clare Tickell, Non-Executive Director, National Audit Office; Independent Director, John Lewis Partnership; former CEO of Hanover Housing Association; former CEO of Action for Children
- Professor Paolo Volpin, Dean at the Business School (formerly Cass)
Professor Paul Palmer and Alex Skailes, Directors at the Centre for Charity Effectiveness at the Business School (formerly Cass), said:
“This new Board will help support our ambitious plans; to build our nonprofit focused educational and capacity building work further and to develop our applied social research, policy and influence work. We believe the latter will be needed more than ever as we move through the pandemic and beyond.”
Sir Stuart Etherington, Chairperson of the Advisory Board, said: “I’m delighted to be Chairing the new Advisory Board of the Centre for Charity Effectiveness. With such a talented group we can build on the established reputation of CCE for education and consultancy. The ambition is to add policy development and influencing to its existing portfolio.”
Featured Bayes Experts
Director, Centre for Charity Effectiveness (CCE)
Professor of Voluntary Sector Management, Associate Dean and Director of Centre for Charity Effectiveness