John Jacob is a PhD student in Management at Bayes Business School (formerly Cass), and Senior Director at the British Columbia Children's Hospital in Vancouver, Canada. The focus of John's research is in investigating the impact of digital technologies and advancements on health systems performance. In particular, John is studying how advancements such as virtual reality, 3D printing, and machine learning can affect quality, access, and costs within the context of hospitals and healthcare systems.
- MSc, Health Economics, Policy, and Management, London School of Economics, UK
- MBA, University of British Columbia, Canada
- BA, Psychology, Thompson Rivers University, Canada
- Primary Care Paramedic, Justice Institute of British Columbia, Canada
- Senior Director, British Columbia Children's Hospital, Mar 2013 – present
- Manager, Emergency Medical Programs, Justice Institute of British Columbia, Jan 2009 – Feb 2013
- Paramedic, British Columbia Ambulance Service, Jan 2007 – Nov 2016
Journal articles (9)
- Jacob, J., Stunden, C., Deenadayalan, D. and Thomas, L. (2023). Economic Evaluation Comparing Virtual Reality with Child Life Programming for Non-sedated Pediatric Medical Imaging: A Cost-Consequence Analysis. PharmacoEconomics - Open, 7(3), pp. 417–429. doi:10.1007/s41669-023-00409-y.
- Shatani, N., Henkelman, E.A., Bray, H.J., Zakani, S., Jacob, J. and Halverson, M.R. (2023). Pediatric Midfacial Trauma: What the Surgeon Wants to Know. RadioGraphics, 43(3). doi:10.1148/rg.220072.
- Brussoni, M., Han, C.S., Lin, Y., Jacob, J., Munday, F., Zeni, M. … Oberle, E. (2022). Evaluation of the Web-Based OutsidePlay-ECE Intervention to Influence Early Childhood Educators’ Attitudes and Supportive Behaviors Toward Outdoor Play: Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 24(6). doi:10.2196/36826.
- Brussoni, M., Han, C.S., Jacob, J., Munday, F., Zeni, M., Walters, M. … Oberle, E. (2021). A Web-Based Risk-Reframing Intervention to Influence Early Childhood Educators’ Attitudes and Supportive Behaviors Toward Outdoor Play: Protocol for the OutsidePlay Study Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Research Protocols, 10(11). doi:10.2196/31041.
- Stunden, C., Zakani, S., Martin, A., Moodley, S. and Jacob, J. (2021). Replicating Anatomical Teaching Specimens Using 3D Modeling Embedded Within a Multimodal e-Learning Course: Pre-Post Study Exploring the Impact on Medical Education During COVID-19. JMIR Medical Education, 7(4). doi:10.2196/30533.
- Stunden, C., Stratton, K., Zakani, S. and Jacob, J. (2021). Comparing a Virtual Reality–Based Simulation App (VR-MRI) With a Standard Preparatory Manual and Child Life Program for Improving Success and Reducing Anxiety During Pediatric Medical Imaging: Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 23(9). doi:10.2196/22942.
- Brussoni, M., Han, C.S., Lin, Y., Jacob, J., Pike, I., Bundy, A. … Mâsse, L. (2021). A Web-Based and In-Person Risk Reframing Intervention to Influence Mothers’ Tolerance for, and Parenting Practices Associated With, Children’s Outdoor Risky Play: Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 23(4). doi:10.2196/24861.
- Jivraj, B.A., Schaeffer, E., Bone, J.N., Stunden, C., Habib, E., Jacob, J. … Mulpuri, K. (2020). The use of virtual reality in reducing anxiety during cast removal: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Children's Orthopaedics, 14(6), pp. 574–580. doi:10.1302/1863-2548.14.200090.
- Richmond, S.A., Black, A.M., Jacob, J., Babul, S. and Pike, I. (2019). ‘Active & Safe Central’: development of an online resource for the prevention of injury in sport and recreational activity. Injury Prevention, 25(6), pp. 546–551. doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2019-043164.