Debjyoti Chakravorty is a 2nd year PhD candidate in Organizational Behaviour within the Faculty of Management at Bayes Business School (formerly Cass), City, University of London. Prior to starting his PhD, Debjyoti obtained a Research Master’s degree in Management (Strategy) from Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University Rotterdam in the Netherlands, where he also worked as a Research Assistant for over a year.
Debjyoti’s research interest lies in the management of knowledge-intensive professional service firms (PSFs), professional work, and professionals working within such firms. For his PhD, jointly supervised by Professor Laura Empson and Dr. Joelle Evans, Debjyoti is researching PSFs’ offshoring operations – nature of work conducted at offshore and onshore centres, experiences of professionals working within them, and the relationship between such centres. By studying the frequent and extensive dyadic knowledge exchanges/interactions that take place between offshore and onshore centres for delivery of client services, he intends to explore the relational knowledge exchange dynamics present in the phenomenon of offshoring. In terms of research methods, Debjyoti aims to adopt an ethnographic approach based on observations and interviews. His PhD research is fully funded by a fellowship from Bayes Business School.
Additionally, Debjyoti has a keen interest in Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) from Strategy and Behavioural perspectives. By drawing on theories from Cognitive Psychology, he aims to explore behavioural biases in M&A decision-making, and how managers can learn to better manage the M&A process strategically from prior acquisitions. In this context, Debjyoti is particularly interested in studying the role of dedicated M&A functions/departments within firms in improving subsequent acquisition performances through deliberate organizational learning. His Research Master thesis at RSM (awarded 'Cum Laude') explored how the effective organization of an M&A function can foster positive learning transfers (acquisition routines & best practices) to key M&A phases offsetting negative learning transfers from prior M&A experience, thus improving focal M&A performance.
Beyond his research, Debjyoti holds a Master’s degree in Banking & Finance (Distinction) from Queen Mary, University of London and a Bachelor’s of Commerce Hons. degree in Accounting & Finance from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata, India. He also has ~2.5 years of industry experience in Strategy & Operations Consulting and M&A Deal Advisory with Deloitte and PwC Service Delivery Center in India respectively.
- Research Master Business & Management (Strategy), Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, Sep 2018 – Sep 2020
- M.Sc Banking & Finance, School of Economics and Finance, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2013 – Dec 2014
- B.Com Honours Accounting & Finance, St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous), Kolkata, India, Jul 2009 – Dec 2012
- PhD Candidate in Management (Organizational Behaviour), Bayes Business School (formerly Cass), City University London, Sep 2020 – Aug 2024
- Research Assistant, Department of Strategic Management & Entrepreneurship, Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Sep 2019 – Sep 2020
- Analyst, Finance Transformation (Strategy & Operations Consulting), Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India LLP, Sep 2015 – Sep 2017
- Associate, Deals & Consulting - M&A, Transaction Services (Advisory), PwC Service Delivery Center (Kolkata), India, May – Aug 2015
Memberships of professional organisations
- Researcher, Bayes Business School (formerly Cass) Centre for Professional Service Firms, Sep 2020 – present
- The Business School (formerly Cass), City University of London (2020) Doctoral Fellowship, PhD in Management
4-year Doctoral Fellowship comprising full tuition fees and maintenance grants of £16,057 per year
- Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University Rotterdam (2018) Full Doctoral Scholarship, Research Master in Business & Management (Value €45,500)
Tuition fee waivers for academic years 2018-19 & 2019-20, and Doctoral Scholarship of €10,000 towards living expenses
Bengali (can read, write, speak and understand spoken), Dutch; Flemish (can read, speak and understand spoken), English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Hindi (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
- Change Management
- Knowledge & Learning
- Knowledge Management
- Management Consulting
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Organizational Behaviour
- Organizational Culture
- Strategic Management
- accountancy firms
- financial services
- professional services
- Asia - Southeast
- Europe - Western
Offshoring of Professional Services: Study of Interactions between Offshore and Onshore Centres to explore Knowledge Exchange Dynamics
Supervisors - Professor Laura Empson & Dr. Joelle Evans