Professor Santi Furnari
Professor of Strategy
- +44 (0)20 7040 5132
106 Bunhill Row
Santi Furnari is Professor of Strategy and Associate Dean for Executive Education at Bayes Business School, City, University of London. He has held visiting faculty positions at Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Judge Business School at the University of Cambridge and the University of Chicago. He completed his Ph.D. at Bocconi University where he also obtained an MSc cum laude.
Prof. Furnari studies how new fields, industries and practices emerge, particularly in the context of creative industries and creative projects. He is also an expert of organization design, business models and configurational thinking. Prof. Furnari uses a variety of theories (such as institutional theory, configurational theory) and methods (such as qualitative methods and fuzzy-set/Qualitative Comparative Analysis or fs/QCA). His paper titled “A Chemistry of Organization” (with Anna Grandori) has been among the first empirical applications of the fs/QCA methodology in organization studies.
His research has been published in leading academic journals, such as the Academy of Management Review, Management Science, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Organization Studies, and Strategic Organization (among others). His paper titled “Interstitial Spaces” has received the AMR Best Paper Award for the best paper published in the Academy of Management Review in 2014. He is Senior Editor at the journal Organization Studies and serves on the Editorial Boards of Organization Theory, Strategic Organization and Journal of Management Studies. From 2019 to 2022, Santi served as the Representative-at-large of the Organization and Management Theory (OMT) Division of the Academy of Management.
Prof. Furnari regularly develops and delivers Executive Education and Strategic Leadership programs for international corporations, such as the BBC, Barclays, Cromwell-Valad, Fullers, Inmarsat, Odgers and Berndtson, SimCorp, Symantec and Weber & Shandwick, as well as for professional associations, such as the Asian Banking School and the Association of Insurance and Risk Managers in Industry and Commerce. His areas of expertise in Executive Education include: 1) Breaking the silos: how to enhance collaboration between business units and functions; 2) Leveraging networks for business development and collaboration; 3) Influence without authority: coalition-building and negotiation; 4) Strategy, organization design and business models; 5) Strategy in digital ecosystems.
At Bayes, Prof. Furnari teaches "Corporate Strategy" and "Advanced Corporate Strategy in a Globalized World" in the Executive MBA (EMBA) program, and various PhD seminars in strategy, organization theory, and qualitative methods and fsQCA. He has also taught "Advanced Strategic Management" in the Undergraduate Program (from 2010 to 2013) and "Research Methods and Business Analytics" in the MSc in Management (from 2010 to 2020). He received (in 2013) the Staff Recognition Award for the outstanding quality of his teaching. Prof. Furnari has also been the Coordinator of the Faculty of Management's Research Workshops and served as member of the school's Research Committee from 2013 to 2016.
MSc (cum laude) and PhD.
- External Examiner, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, Sep 2020 – present
- Visiting Scholar, Kellogg School of Management, Northwester University, Jul – Dec 2019
- Visiting Scholar, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, Jan – Jun 2019
- Research Affiliate, University of Chicago's Cultural Policy Center, Sep 2010 – Sep 2013
Memberships of committees
- Member, All-Academy Theme (AAT) Committee for the 2017 Academy of Management (AOM) Meeting., Aug 2017
- Member, Scientific Committee of the European Theory Development Workshop (ETDW)., Jan 2015 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Advisory Board Member, COMPArative Methods for Systematic cross-caSe analySis (COMPASS), Jan 2012 – present
- University of California Davis (2016) Best paper award at the 2016 Davis Conference on Qualitative Research
- Cass Business School (2015) Prize for Excellent Research Publications
- Academy of Management Review (2015) AMR Best Paper Award 2014
- Cass Business School (2014) Prize for Excellent Research Publications
- Academy of Management OMT Division (2013) Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Award
- Cass Business School, City, University of London (2013) Prize for Excellent Quality in Teaching and Outstanding Contribution to Curriculum Design
- Academy of Management OMT Division (2012) Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Award
- Academy of Management (Organization and Management Theory Division) (2012) Nomination for Louis R. Pondy Best Paper Award
- Organization Science Winter Conference (2010) Second runner-up award
- European Group for Organization Studies (EGOS) (2009) EGOS Best Student Paper Award
- Business Models
- Innovation & Creativity
- Organization Theory
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Strategic Management
- Design Thinking
- creative industries
- Zhihan Shen, Research Student
- Saad Alsubaiei, Research Student
Attendance: Sep 2017 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Strategy and identity dynamics in start-ups
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2016 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Configurations of Corporate Governance in IPOs
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2014 – present, full-time
Thesis title: International replication of cultural products
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Sara Lara Marquez Gallardo
Attendance: Sep 2013 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Institutional Logics in the E-publising Industry
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2011 – Jan 2015, full-time
Thesis title: Organizational Configurations for Value Appropriation
Role: 2nd Supervisor
- Grandori, A. and Furnari, S. (2013). CONFIGURATIONAL ANALYSIS AND ORGANIZATION DESIGN: TOWARDS A THEORY OF STRUCTURAL HETEROGENEITY. CONFIGURATIONAL THEORY AND METHODS IN ORGANIZATIONAL RESEARCH (pp. 77–105). ISBN 978-1-78190-778-8.
- Furnari, S. (2011). Exaptation and Innovation in Architecture: The Case of Chicago�s Millennium Park. In Grandori, A. and Gaillard Giordani, L. (Eds.), Organizing Entrepreneurship London: Routledge.
- Furnari, S. and Grandori, A. (2010). Dalle Forme alle Formule Organizzative: Una Chimica dell’Organizzazione. In Fabbri, T. (Ed.), Organizzare: Concetti e Metodi (pp. 433–454). Roma: Carrocci Editore.
- Grandori, A. and Furnari, S. (2009). Types of Complementarity, Combinative Organization Forms and Structural Heterogeneity: Beyond Discrete Structural Alternatives. In Morroni, M. (Ed.), Corporate Governance, Organization and the Firm: Co-operation and Outsourcing in a Globalised Market London: Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Furnari, S. (2007). Modeling Multidimensional Fit through Boolean Algebra: New Methods for Combinative Organization Design. In Golzio, L.E. and Fabbri, T.M. (Eds.), Relazioni di Lavoro e Forme Organizzative: Nuovi Modelli Progettuali Rome: Carrocci.
- Soda, G., Sommaruga, M. and Furnari, S. (2005). Il Processo di Formazione delle Alleanze Strategiche: Razionalita Economica o Sociale? In Bodega, D. (Ed.), Organizzare a Misura d'Uomo (pp. 141–155). Milan: McGraw-Hill.
- Furnari, S. (2004). Organizzare e Gestire il Lavoro in Rete: Dinamiche di Apprendimento Organizzativo e Politiche del Significato. In D'Atri, A. (Ed.), Innovazione Organizzativa e Tecnologie Innovative (pp. 163–175). Milan: ETAS.
- Soda, G. and Furnari, S. (2004). Le Dinamiche Temporali della Condivisione di Conoscenza in Contesti di Lavoro Virtuale: uno Studio Empirico Longitudinale. Knowledge management e successo aziendale Bologna, Italy: Arti Grafiche Friulane.
Conference papers and proceedings (5)
- Li, , Jarzabkowski, P. and Furnari, S. (2019). Actualizing the potentiality: A process study on how emerging organizations realize the resource(s) in a corporate-run accelerating program. The 11th International Symposium on Process Organization Studies 19-22 June, Chania, Crete.
- Li, Q., Jarzabkowski, P. and Furnari, S. (2018). Strategy-as-practice, identity, and capability to perform in a pluralist context: A case study. 78th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management 10 August, Chicago.
- Li, Q., Furnari, S. and Jarzabkowski, P. (2018). Start-up programs as a constraint to innovative disruption: Preliminary evidence from InsurTech start-ups. 34th EGOS Colloquium 10 July, Tallinn.
- Furnari, S. (2014). A Framing Perspective on Field Emergence: Constructing Institutional Fields as Settlements. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Furnari, S. (2012). Interstitial Brokers and Institutional Change. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
Journal articles (16)
- Aversa, P., Furnari, S. and Jenkins, M. (2022). The Primordial Soup: Exploring the Emotional Microfoundations of Cluster Genesis. Organization Science, 33(4), pp. 1340–1371. doi:10.1287/orsc.2021.1484.
- Furnari, S., Crilly, D., Misangyi, V.F., Greckhamer, T., Fiss, P.C. and Aguilera, R.V. (2021). Capturing Causal Complexity: Heuristics for Configurational Theorizing. Academy of Management Review, 46(4), pp. 778–799. doi:10.5465/amr.2019.0298.
- Furnari, S. (2019). Situating Frames and Institutional Logics: The Social Situation as a Key Institutional MicroFoundation. pp. 193–209. doi:10.1108/s0733-558x2019000065b015.
- Greckhamer, T., Furnari, S., Fiss, P.C. and Aguilera, R.V. (2018). Studying Configurations with QCA: Best Practices in Strategy and Organization Research. Strategic Organization, 16(4), pp. 482–495. doi:10.1177/1476127018786487.
- Furnari, S. and Rolbina, M. (2018). Brokerage Styles and Interaction Rituals in Creative Projects: Toward an Interactionist Perspective on Brokerage. pp. 17–45. doi:10.1108/s0733-558x20180000055002.
- Furnari, S. (2018). When does an issue trigger change in a field? A comparative approach to issue frames, field structures and types of field change. Human Relations, 71(3), pp. 321–348. doi:10.1177/0018726717726861.
- Luedicke, M.K., Husemann, K.C., Furnari, S. and Ladstaetter, F. (2017). Radically Open Strategizing: How the Premium Cola Collective Takes Open Strategy to the Extreme. Long Range Planning, 50(3), pp. 371–384. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2016.07.001.
- Misangyi, V., Greckhamer, T., Furnari, S., Fiss, P., Crilly, D. and Aguilera, R. (2017). Embracing Causal Complexity: The Emergence of a Neo-Configurational Perspective. Journal of Management, 43(1), pp. 255–282.
- Furnari, S. (2016). Institutional fields as linked arenas: Inter-field resource dependence, institutional work and institutional change. Human Relations, 69(3), pp. 551–580. doi:10.1177/0018726715605555.
- Furnari, S. (2015). A Cognitive Mapping Approach to Business Models: Representing Causal Structures and Mechanisms. pp. 207–239. doi:10.1108/s0742-332220150000033025.
- Aversa, P., Furnari, S. and Haefliger, S. (2015). Business model configurations and performance: A qualitative comparative analysis in Formula One racing, 2005-2013. Industrial and Corporate Change, 24(3), pp. 655–676. doi:10.1093/icc/dtv012.
- Furnari, S. (2014). Interstitial spaces: Microinteraction settings and the genesis of new practices between institutional fields. Academy of Management Review, 39(4), pp. 439–462. doi:10.5465/amr.2012.0045.
- Grandori, A. and Furnari, S. (2013). Configurational Analysis and Organization Design: Towards a Theory of Structural Heterogeneity. Research in the Sociology of Organizations, Vol. 28, pp. 79–107.
- Soda, G. and Furnari, S. (2012). Exploring the topology of the plausible: Fs/QCA counterfactual analysis and the plausible fit of unobserved organizational configurations. Strategic Organization, 10(3), pp. 285–296. doi:10.1177/1476127012452826.
- Grandori, A. and Furnari, S. (2008). A Chemistry of Organization: Combinatory Structural Analysis and Design. Organization Studies, 29(3), pp. 459–341. doi:10.1177/0170840607088023.
- Slager, R., Chuah, K., Gond, J.-.P., Furnari, S. and Homanen, M. Tailor-to-Target: Configuring Collaborative Shareholder Engagements on Climate Change. Management Science.
Editorial activity (10)
- Academy of Management Review, Member of Editorial Board, Mar 2018 – present.
- Journal of Management Studies, Member of Editorial Board, 2015 – present.
- Organization Studies, Member of Editorial Board, 2015 – present.
- Strategic Management Journal, Referee, 2013 – present.
- Administrative Science Quarterly, Referee, 2012 – present.
- Corporate Governance: An International Review, Referee, 2011 – present.
- Journal of Management Studies, Referee, 2011 – present.
- Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Referee, 2011 – present.
- Industrial and Corporate Change, Referee, 2010 – present.
- Organization Studies, Referee, 2010 – present.