Khaled is a Bayes Fellow in Management (Marketing). Before joining Bayes, Khaled was a Lecturer in Marketing at Goldsmiths, University of London, and a Teaching Assistant in Marketing at London Business School. Khaled obtained his PhD in Marketing from Henley Business School, University of Reading. In his research, he draws on theories from psychology and sociology to answer research questions related to consumer experiences with digital technologies (e.g., Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and mixed reality). More specifically, he is interested in the consumer's mind and AR's “mind” to answer research questions related to a) how consumers imagine the reality and the self when using AR? What does the reality mean in the virtual world and mixed reality world? And b) how can the imagined world between consumers’ mind and AR’s mind together create extraordinary experiences (e.g., fun and pain)? He is also interested humans as “cyborgs” and the extended-mind; the imagined-self in the virtual and real world; authenticity in a hyper-authentic world; and imagination in food consumption.
Khaled’s research has been published at Journal of Service Management. He has also presented his research at leading international conferences in marketing such as SERVSIG, European Academy of Marketing Conference (EMAC), American Marketing Association (AMA), Association of Consumer Research (ACR) and a Consumer Culture Theory (CCT). For future publications, he is targeting Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, and Journal of Retailing.
Khaled’s teaching philosophy centres around student self-transformation. This means, not only delivering excellent knowledge to the students, but also using education as a tool for self-discovery where the students get to expand their mental horizons to better understand themselves and others around them. He is currently the module leader of International Marketing (UG) and Technology and Marketing (PG).
Prior to joining academia, Khaled has worked in media planning, news editing, and business operations. In his spare time, he enjoys hiking, running, long walks, and feeding and watching the birds!
- PhD Marketing, University of Reading, United Kingdom, Sep 2017 – Jan 2023
- MSc Business Management with Marketing, Aston University, United Kingdom, Sep 2015 – Nov 2016
- Professional Diploma in Marketing, Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), United Kingdom, Sep 2008 – Sep 2009
- Introduction to Marketing, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Jan – May 2008
- BA Mass Communications major in Advertising and Public Relations, Cairo University, Egypt, Sep 2001 – May 2005
Arabic (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Consumer Behaviour
- Digital Marketing
- El-Shamandi Ahmed, K., Ambika, A. and Belk, R. (2023). Augmented reality magic mirror in the service sector: experiential consumption and the self. Journal of Service Management, 34(1), pp. 56–77. doi:10.1108/josm-12-2021-0484.