Jeroen Veldman is Visiting Professor at the Interdisciplinary Institute for Innovation, Mines Paristech; Honorary Senior Visiting Fellow at Cass Business School and Associate Editor at Journal of Business Ethics. He has previously held appointments as Associate Professor at Nyenrode Business University; as Senior Research fellow at Cass Business School; as Research Fellow at Cardiff Business School and as Junior Lecturer at Utrecht School of Governance, Utrecht University.
He leads the Modern Corporation Project, an impact-oriented interdisciplinary project that engages with academics and practitioners worldwide to identify best practices with regard to long-term value creation. This interdisciplinary research connects themes including social enterprise, profit with purpose companies, ESG reporting, strategy, CSR, business ethics, systemic risk, and innovation.
He has published in Human Relations, Cambridge Journal of Economics, British Journal of Management and Critical Perspectives on Accounting.
For an overview of publications, see:
Dutch; Flemish, English and German.
- Business Law
- Critical Management Studies
- Organization Theory
- Business Models
- Industrial Relations/Labour Studies
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Business History
- Economic History
- Business Ethics
- Corporate Finance
Jeroen coordinates an international project called 'The Modern Corporation'. For this project he organized international academic support for the writing and endorsement of a number of accessible and succinct papers on corporate governance in the fields of management (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3q), company law (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3o), politics (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3s), and accounting (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3m). These memos have been endorsed by leading academics around the world. For an overview of these memos see http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-j
- Levillain, K., Parker, S., Ridley-Duff, R., Segrestin, B., Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2018). Protecting Long-term Commitment. Oxford University Press.
- Veldman, J. (2019). Boards and sustainable value creation: The legal entity, co-determination and other means. European Business Law Review, 30(2), pp. 279–300.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2017). Social ontology and the modern corporation. Cambridge Journal of Economics, 41(5), pp. 1489–1504. doi:10.1093/cje/bex043.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2016). The cultural grammar of governance: The UK Code of Corporate Governance, reflexivity, and the limits of ‘soft’ regulation. Human Relations, 69(3), pp. 581–603. doi:10.1177/0018726715593160.
- Veldman, J., Gregor, F. and Morrow, P. (2016). Corporate Governance for a Changing World: Report of a Global Roundtable Series. Brussels, Belgium: Frank Bold.
- (2018). Globalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impact on Corporate Governance. Springer International Publishing. ISBN 978-3-319-69127-5.
- Veldman, J. (2018). The Separate Legal Entity and the Architecture of the Modern Corporation. In Boeger, N. and Villiers, C. (Eds.), Shaping the Corporate Landscape: Towards Corporate Reform and Enterprise Diversity (pp. 61–76). Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- du Plessis, J.J., Varottil, U. and Veldman, J. (2018). The Significance of Moving Beyond Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Globalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impact on Corporate Governance (pp. 3–23). Springer International Publishing.
- Veldman, J. (2018). Responsibility and the Modern Corporation. Globalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impact on Corporate Governance (pp. 77–92). Springer International Publishing.
- Veldman, J. (2017). Self-regulation in International Corporate Governance Codes. Corporate Governance Codes for the 21st Century (pp. 77–95). Springer International Publishing.
- (2016). Institutions Inc. In Palgrave Macmillan UK. ISBN 978-1-349-69417-4.
- (2016). Pioneers of Critical Accounting. In Palgrave Macmillan UK. ISBN 978-1-137-54211-3.
- The Routledge Companion to Philosophy in Organization Studies. In Routledge.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. The Corporation in Management Studies. The Corporation (pp. 197–212). Cambridge University Press.
- Veldman, J. Corporation. Key Concepts in Critical Management Studies (pp. 67–70). SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. Management. In Baars, G. and Spicer, A. (Eds.), Critical Corporation Handbook, Routledge Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
Journal articles (16)
- Veldman, J. and Jansson, A. (2020). Planetary Boundaries and Corporate Reporting: The Role of the Conceptual Basis of the Corporation. Accounting, Economics, and Law: A Convivium, 10(2). doi:10.1515/ael-2018-0037.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2020). Performativity and convergence in comparative corporate governance. Competition & Change, 24(5), pp. 408–428. doi:10.1177/1024529419857382.
- Gindis, D., Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2020). Convergent and divergent trajectories of corporate governance. Competition & Change, 24(5), pp. 399–407. doi:10.1177/1024529420944017.
- Veldman, J. (2019). Inequality, Inc. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 63, pp. 102039–102039. doi:10.1016/j.cpa.2018.04.001.
- Morrow, P. and Veldman, J. (2017). The Purpose of the Corporation. ICGN Yearbook 2017 pp. 58–59.
- Lazonick, W., Blankenburg, S., Froud, J., O’Sullivan, M.A., Sauviat, C., Reberioux, A. … Veldman, J. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Economics. .
- Morgan, G., Soederberg, S., Plehwe, D., Horn, L., Jessop, B., Nölke, A. … Veldman, J. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Politics. .
- Collison, D., Jansson, A., Larsson-Olaison, U., Power, D.M., Cooper, C., Gray, R. … Veldman, J. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Accounting. University of Alberta School of Business Research Paper, (2016).
- Stout, L.A., Robé, J.-.P., Ireland, P., Deakin, S., Greenfield, K., Johnston, A. … Morrow, P. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Company Law. .
- Willmott, H., Djelic, M.-.L., Spicer, A., Parker, M., Chanteau, J.-.P. and Alii, E. (2016). The modern corporation statement on management. .
- Veldman, J. (2015). Book Review: Capitalism, corporations and the social contract. Organization, 22(2), pp. 269–271. doi:10.1177/1350508414524044.
- Beverungen, A., Hoedemaekers, C. and Veldman, J. (2014). Charity and finance in the university. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 25(1), pp. 58–66. doi:10.1016/j.cpa.2012.10.005.
- Veldman, J. (2013). Politics of the Corporation. British Journal of Management, 24. doi:10.1111/1467-8551.12024.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2013). What is the corporation and why does it matter? M@n@gement, 16(5), pp. 605–605. doi:10.3917/mana.165.0605.
- Veldman, J. and Parker, M. (2012). Specters, Inc.: The Elusive Basis of the Corporation. Business and Society Review, 117(4), pp. 413–441. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8594.2012.00413.x.
- Veldman, J. (2011). Governance Inc. Business Ethics: A European Review, 20(3), pp. 292–303. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8608.2011.01628.x.