Professor Anh Luong Tran joined the Faculty of Finance at Bayes Business School (formerly Cass Business School) of City, University of London in August 2010 after completing his PhD from Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA. He is the Academic Director of the M&A Research Centre, the Director of the Business School's summer programme, a fellow of the Gupta Governance Institute, and a fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy. He is also a founding member, trustee and vice president of the Vietnam Finance Association International.
Professor Tran's research interests are in empirical corporate finance, including mergers and acquisitions, institutional investors, executive compensation, and corporate governance. He has published many research articles in the most prestigious finance academic journals including Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and Management Science. His research papers have been presented at more than a hundred conferences, university seminars, and keynotes around the world. He has been a co-chair of the annual academic conference in M&A at the Business School and acting as a journal editorial board member and a reviewer for many journals and conferences in the field.
Professor Tran received the City University Staff Prize for Outstanding Research, the Business School Staff Prize for Excellent Research Publications, and three times the Business School Excellent Research Publication Awards. His research has been mentioned in various media outlets including the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, the Economist, Bloomberg, the New York Times, the Times, Le Monde, Les Echos, etc.
Professor Tran has been teaching corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, investment, and valuation classes at both MSc and undergraduate levels in accounting, banking and finance degrees, as well as executive education. He also has been supervising dissertations and offering tutorial and pastoral support to students each year. In addition, he has been acting as an external examiner for degree programmes and for PhD viva exams at the many universities around the world.
- PhD, Drexel University, United States, 2010
- Professor of Finance, City, University of London, Aug 2020 – present
- Reader (Associate Professor) in Finance, City, University of London, Aug 2015 – Jul 2020
- Senior Lecturer in Finance, City, University of London, Aug 2012 – Jul 2015
- Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Finance, City, University of London, Aug 2010 – Jul 2012
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, 2020 – present
- Fellow, Gupta Governance Institute, 2019 – present
- Business School Research Publication Award (2016) .
- Business School Research Publication Award (2015) .
- Vietnam Finance Association International Excellence in Research Award (2015) .
- Business School Staff Prize for excellent research publications (2014) .
- City University Staff Prize for outstanding achievement in research (2013) .
- Business School Research Publication Award (2012) .
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Institutions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Attendance: 2016 – 2022, full-time
Thesis title: Essays in Labour and Finance
Role: 1st Supervisor
Attendance: 2014 – 2018, full-time
Thesis title: Essays in Empirical Corporate Finance
Role: 1st Supervisor
Journal articles (8)
- Keswani, A., Tran, A. and Volpin, P. (2021). Institutional Debtholder Governance. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 56(6), pp. 2103–2135. doi:10.1017/s0022109020000630.
- Blouin, J.L., Fich, E.M., Rice, E.M. and Tran, A.L. (2021). Corporate tax cuts, merger activity, and shareholder wealth. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 71(1), pp. 101315–101315. doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2020.101315.
- Keswani, A., Stolin, D. and Tran, A.L. (2017). Frenemies: How do financial firms vote on their own kind? Management Science, 63(3), pp. 631–654. doi:10.1287/mnsc.2015.2314.
- Fich, E.M., Rice, E.M. and Tran, A.L. (2016). Contractual revisions in compensation: Evidence from merger bonuses to target CEOs. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 61(2-3), pp. 338–368. doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2015.12.002.
- Fich, E.M., Harford, J. and Tran, A.L. (2015). Motivated monitors: The importance of institutional investors׳ portfolio weights. Journal of Financial Economics, 118(1), pp. 21–48. doi:10.1016/j.jfineco.2015.06.014.
- Fich, E.M., Tran, A.L. and Walkling, R.A. (2013). On the importance of golden parachutes. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48(6), pp. 1717–1753. doi:10.1017/S002210901300063X.
- Fich, E.M., Cai, J. and Tran, A.L. (2011). Stock option grants to target CEOs during private merger negotiations. Journal of Financial Economics, 101(2), pp. 413–430. doi:10.1016/j.jfineco.2011.03.010.
- Fich, E.M., Harford, J. and Tran, A.L. Disloyal managers and shareholders’ wealth. Review of Financial Studies.
Financial Management (2010-2017) BSc Year 3
Corporate Finance (2018-2020) BSc Year 3
Corporate Finance and Valuation (2020-present) BSc Year 2
Finance and Investment (2010-2021) MSc
Corporate Finance and Valuation (2010-present) MSc
Principles of Finance and Valuation (2022-present) MSc
Mergers and Acquisitions (2015-present) Summer School
Corporate Finance (2020-present) EMBA
Applied Corporate Finance (2022-present) EMBA
University Presidential Sprint team member (2022)
Member of the future of business education working group (2021)
Faculty recruiting committee member (2021-present)
Course Director of Summer School (2019-present)
City University Recruitment Interview Panel Member: City Law School and Business School (2017-present)
University Library Committee Member (2016-2020)
Academic Director of Mergers and Acquisitions Research Centre (2015-present)
Academic misconduct panel member (2013)
Ph.D. Viva external examiner
Chunling Xia (University of Warwick, 2015)
Nguyet Nguyen (University of Kent, 2016)
Thai Nguyen (University of East London, 2018)
Tri Nguyen (University of East London, 2019)
Nghi Dinh Le (Open University HCMC, 2019)
Thomas To (University of Sydney, 2019)
Siti Farida (University of Warwick, 2021)
Sayla Siddiqui (Australian National University, 2022)
Ph.D. Viva internal examiner
Mesut Tastan (2012)
Valeria Vitkova (2012)
Emmanuel Pezier (2018)
Chiara De Amicis (2022)
Xiaoke Ye (2022)
External examiner for degrees
University of East London (2013-2017)
University of West London (2021-2025)
External assessor for academic promotion (2020-present)
External assessor for periodic degree review (2021-present)
Editorial activity (3)
- European Journal of Finance, Associate editor, 2020 – present.
- Corporate Governance: An International Review, Editorial board member, 2019 – present.
- Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Management Science, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Empirical Finance, European Financial Management, European Journal of Finance, Financial Review, International Review of Financial Analysis, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Managerial Finance, Emerging Market Finance and Trade, Referee.
- Annual Cass Mergers and Acquisitions Research Centre Conference (2016-present). (Conference) http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/research-and-faculty/centres/marc Organising Committee.
- Conference presentations.
Description: Research invited for presentation at the following conferences:
- American Finance Association: Denver (2011), Philadelphia (2014), Philadelphia (2018); Chicago (2021);
- European Finance Association: Bergen (2009), Lugano (2014);
- Society for Financial Studies Cavalcade: Yale University (2018);
- Financial Intermediation Research Society: Quebec (2014);
- National Tax Association: Philadelphia (2017);
- Financial Management Association: Dallas (2008), Prague (2008), Reno (2009), New York (2010), Luxembourg (2013), Chicago (2013), Tokyo (2014), Maastricht (2014), Lisbon (2017), Cyprus (2021);
- European Financial Management: Rome (2014), Athens (2017), Strathclyde (2019), Leeds (2021);
- Eastern Finance Association: Philadelphia (2006), St Petersburg (2008), Washington DC (2009), Miami (2010), Boston (2012), New Orleans (2015);
- Eastern Economic Association: Philadelphia (2010);
- Midwest Finance Association: Chicago (2013);
- Annual Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance Conference (2021);
- Annual Conference on Empirical Legal Studies: USC Law School (2009), Washington University School of Law (2015);
- Annual Finance Down Under Conference: Melbourne (2010);
- AFFI/Eurofidai Paris Finance Annual Meetings (2008);
- Annual IESE/AEFIN Finance: Madrid (2008, 2009);
- SFA Finance Forum: Segovia (2013), Zaragoza (2014);
- Paris Financial Management Meeting (2014);
- Vietnam International Conference in Finance: Ho Chi Minh City (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019);
- Center for Corporate Governance Research Conference at the Norwegian School of Management BI (2008, 2019);
- European Center for Corporate Control Studies (2014);
- Research Conference in recognition of Larry Y. Dann at the University of Oregon (2010);
- Research Conference focused on Institutional Investors and the Asset Management Industry at the University of Oregon (2013);
- Michigan State FCU Conference on Institutions and Investments (2013);
- U.S. Department of Justice, Washington DC (2010)
- Seminar presentations.
Description: Research invited for presentation at the following seminars:
- University of Bristol, University of Cambridge (2022);
- Tsinghua University, Toulouse Business School, ESCP Europe, Colegio Universitario de Estudios Financieros Corporate Finance Webinar, University of Hawaii (2021);
- Drexel University, Tilburg University, University of Washington (2020);
- Cardiff University, Erasmus University, Ivey Business School, University of Liverpool, University of Strathclyde, University of Tonronto, VU Amsterdam (2019);
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Indiana University, University of Hong Kong (2018)
- Loughborough University, Open University, University of Exeter, University of New South Wales (2017);
- Aalto University, Baylor University, Nova School of Business and Economics, Open University, Otto Beisheim School of Management, University of Connecticut, University of Kansas, University of Manchester, University of New South Wales, University of Surrey, Vienna University of Economics and Business (2016);
- Ben Gurion University, Mississippi State University, University of Economics and Law, University of Kansas, University of Reading, Villanova University (2015);
- Claremont McKenna College, IE Business School, University of Alabama, University of Texas Austin (2014);
- City University of Hong Kong, IE Business School, Texas Christian University, Universidad Carlos III, University of Bristol, University of Cambridge, University of Exeter, University of Surrey, University of Zurich (2013);
- SKEMA Business School, University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, University of Reading (2012);
- Imperial College, University of Brisbane, University of New South Wales, University of South Florida (2011);
- Business School, Erasmus University, ESCP Europe, Fordham University, IESEG School of Management, Indiana University, Sacred Heart University, Syracuse University, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School (2010);
- University of Miami (2008)
- Press coverage of research. ________________________________________________________
Financial Times, “AT&T executives were paid $9m for controversial Time Warner deal” (27 May 2021)
Drexel News Blog, “Corporate tax cuts impact amount and quality of merger activity” (20 Jun 2017)
DrexelNow, “Bonuses important to protecting shareholder wealth of acquired companies” (24 May 2017)
IgnitesEurope, “Does asset management have a corporate culture problem” (4 Oct 2016)
Economia, “Conflicts of interest undermine shareholder voting” (8 Sep 2016)
Financial Times, “Asset manager bonuses are not the real problem” (28 Aug 2016)
Fund Strategy, “Hermes criticises Schroders’ corporate governance breach” (26 Apr 2016)
Financial Times, “Fund houses favour rivals at annual general meetings” (24 Apr 2016)
Valuewalk, “Timing stock trades for personal gain by CEOs” (30 Sep 2015)
Le Monde, “Vous reprendrez bien un peu de bonus, mon cher…” (25 Feb 2015)
Private Equity Findings, “SPACs: Treasure troves or time bombs” (11 Feb 2014)
Fox Business, “The value in merger bonuses” (15 Feb 2013)
Financial News, “Do CEO merger bonuses reduce takeover premiums?” (7 Feb 2013)
Newswise, “CEOs get merger bonus when selling firms cheaply” (5 Feb 2013)
US News, “Can huge CEO golden parachutes hurt you” (14 Nov 2012)
Chronicle Herald, “Golden parachutes seem to be rusting” (15 Jan 2012)
Economist, “Pay-offs for the boss need to be better designed” (14 Jan 2012)
Financial Times, “Bereichern sich CEOs auf kosten der aktionäre?” (13 Apr 2011)
Les Echos, “Les parachutes dorés peuvent nuire aux actionnaires” (7 Mar 2011)
Le Monde, “Salariés, actionnaires: même combat?” (6 Mar 2011)
Actusite, “Les parachutes dorés pèsent sur la performance des patrons” (3 Mar 2011)
News Banques, “Parachute doré et acquisition” (3 Mar 2011)
Mergers & Acquisitions, “Study: Golden parachutes cheat shareholders” (14 Jan 2011)
Times, “Golden parachutes cost investors dear” (14 Jan 2011)
Bloomberg, “U.S. chiefs set for big payoffs sell more cheaply, study says” (13 Jan 2011)
New York Times, “Take my company, please…” (13 Jan 2011)
San Francisco Chronicle “Mr. President, could I ask you something?” (15 Oct 2009)
CNBC, “Do unscheduled options to CEOs during merger talks create perverse incentives?” (12 Oct 2009)
Wall Street Journal, “Option grants draw scrutiny” (Front page headline, 12 Oct 2009)
CNBC, “Should CEOs’ buyout options be a securities violation?” (24 Sep 2009)