Dr Andres Hervas-Drane
Senior Lecturer in Management
- +44 (0)20 7040 0242
106 Bunhill Row
CV with links to my working papers & publications
Andres Hervas-Drane is Senior Lecturer in Management at Bayes Business School (formerly Cass). His fields of specialization are business economics, industrial organization, and IT strategy.
Hervas-Drane studies how digitalization shapes competition and the business models adopted by firms. His recent work examines consumer privacy and the exploitation of consumer data, analyzing the mechanisms that contribute to the success of data-rich industry players such as Google, Facebook, and Amazon. Other research strands include the management of marketplaces and recommender systems in online retail, as well as peer-to-peer architectures and the implications of consumer file sharing for media markets and cultural policy.
Hervas-Drane has published in Management Science, the International Journal of Research in Marketing, California Management Review, Long Range Planning, and the Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, among other outlets.
Before joining Bayes in 2014, Hervas-Drane was an Assistant Professor at Universitat Pompeu Fabra and held postdoctoral and doctoral research appointments at Columbia Business School, Harvard University, and London Business School. He obtained his Ph.D. in Economics and BA in Business Administration from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
- Business Models
- Digital Marketing
- Industrial Organization
- Information Management
- Mathematical & Quantitative Methods
- creative industries
- Americas - North
Journal articles (9)
- Hervas-Drane, A. and Shelegia, S. (2022). Price Competition with a Stake in your Rival. International Journal of Industrial Organization. doi:10.1016/j.ijindorg.2022.102862.
- Casadesus-Masanell, R. and Hervas-Drane, A. (2020). Strategies for managing the privacy landscape. Long Range Planning, 53(4), pp. 101949–101949. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2019.101949.
- Aversa, P., Hervas-Drane, A. and Evenou, M. (2019). Business Model Responses to Digital Piracy. California Management Review, 61(2), pp. 30–58. doi:10.1177/0008125618818841.
- Hervas-Drane, A. and Noam, E. (2017). Peer-to-peer file sharing and cultural trade protectionism. Information Economics and Policy, 41, pp. 15–27. doi:10.1016/j.infoecopol.2017.08.002.
- Hervas-Drane, A. (2015). Recommended for you: The effect of word of mouth on sales concentration. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 32(2), pp. 207–218. doi:10.1016/j.ijresmar.2015.02.005.
- Casadesus-Masanell, R. and Hervas-Drane, A. (2015). Competing with Privacy. Management Science, 61(1), pp. 229–246. doi:10.1287/mnsc.2014.2023.
- Casadesus‐Masanell, R. and Hervas‐Drane, A. (2010). Competing against online sharing. Management Decision, 48(8), pp. 1247–1260. doi:10.1108/00251741011076771.
- Casadesus-Masanell, R. and Hervas-Drane, A. (2010). Peer-to-Peer File Sharing and the Market for Digital Information Goods. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 19(2), pp. 333–373. doi:10.1111/j.1530-9134.2010.00254.x.
- Creus-Mir, A., Casadesus-Masanell, R. and Hervas-Drane, A. (2008). Bandwidth allocation in peer-to-peer file sharing networks. Computer Communications, 31(2), pp. 257–265. doi:10.1016/j.comcom.2007.08.001.