Director, Centre for Charity Effectiveness (CCE)
- +44 (0)20 7040 3320
106 Bunhill Row
Alex Skailes is a senior academic within the faculty of management and Director at the Bayes Centre for Charity Effectiveness (www.bayes.city.ac.uk/faculties-and-research/centres/cce).
Alex is an experienced strategy and finance director with a successful track record of advising and leading clients in the nonprofit and private sectors. She believes passionately in the power of cross sector working. Alex has combined the first class skills and expertise gained from her earlier senior career with PricewaterhouseCoopers and Deutsche Bank with a period of post graduate academic study and consulting work focusing specifically on the nonprofit sector. As a result of her cross sector experiences, she is able to harness best business practise and strong commercial experience with leading edge thinking for a sector that is currently undergoing transformation.
Alex specialises in strategic and business planning, feasibility and options studies. She teaches and co-leads the main core module 'Resource Management in the Voluntary Sector' on the MSc Charities programme. She has a particular interest in mergers, collaborations and sustainable business models and was a founder member of the mergers and collaborations advisory group within Bayes’ Centre for Charity Effectiveness (Bayes CCE) in 2014. In 2018 Alex joined the Executive PhD programme. Her research focuses on merger and acquisitions within the social purpose organisations, an exploration of the resultant social value created and the factors that drive this form of organisational change.
As a Director at Bayes CCE, Alex leads the team of core directors and associate consultants. The team are expert in nonprofit management, have senior cross sector career experience and come from both practitioner and academic backgrounds. The Centre is a leading nonprofit and philanthropy centre in the UK and overseas and delivers a world class blend of postgraduate master (MSc) degree programmes, research, consultancy and leadership development programmes both in the UK and overseas.
Alex is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA), holds their post graduate diploma in charity accounting and has an MSc with distinction from Bayes Business School (formerly Cass) in Voluntary Sector Management. She holds a BA from University College, London. Alex is a Fellow of both the Royal Society for Arts, Manufacturing and Commerce and the Royal Geographical Society and is a Freeman of the City of London. She is on the finance and audit committee of The Seckford Foundation, former Chair of Community Action Suffolk and is a member of the International Women's Forum UK branch.
- Diploma in Charity Accounting (DChA), Insitute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, Oct 2010
- Fellow (FCA), Instiute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), Jan 1992
- MSc (distinction) Bayes Business School (formerly Cass), City, University London, London, United Kingdom
- BA Hons, University College London, London, United Kingdom
- Senior Academic and Director, Centre for Charity Effectiveness, City, University of London, Jan 2016 – present
- Fellow, Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, Nov 2016 – present
- Fellow, Royal Geographical Society, Nov 2016 – present
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
Memberships of professional organisations
- International Women's Forum, 2018 – present
- Freeman of the City of London
- Business Models
- Change Management
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Accounting
- Management Consulting
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Voluntary Sector Management
- education, training & employment agencies
- financial services
- non-profit & voluntary sector
- professional services
- Middle East
- (2021). Call of Duty. University Business, pp. 52–53
- The Chartered Governance Institute. London, UK (2021). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
Paper: The Kids Company case - Impact on charity governance
Author: Alex Skailes
- Charity mergers and collaborative working. London, UK (2020). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
- “Purpose & Partnerships – how brands and charities can innovate together in the post COVID world”. London, UK (2020). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
- How future-literate is the UK's charity sector, amidst COVID-19? (Seminar) London with overseas audience (virtual - Coviid) (2020). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
- Non Profit Academic Centers Council. (Conference) London, UK (2019). Organising Committee and Panel Member. Invited speaker.
Paper: Research and Practice collaboration
Author: Alex Skailes
- How charities can weather the Covid storm. (2021). The Financial Times
- Good Charity Bad Charity. Apple, Spotify and other podcast platforms Podcast series on Charity Leadership Best Practice https://audioboom.com/channels/4943