About the FinTech.Lab
Our mission statement
- Research FinTech and its satellite technologies in business applications, explore how adjacent industries use digital technologies and Industry 4.0 tools for transformation; how do they influence upcoming disruptions
- Encourage entrepreneurship with innovative technologies
- Transfer newly acquired knowledge to higher and executive education.
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Artificial Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Structured Data, Data Analytics
- Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies, Crypto exchanges, Distributed Ledger Technologies, Smart Contracts, ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings), STOs (Security Token Offerings), NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens), DeFi, DAOs (Decentralized Autonomous Organizations)
- Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality, the Metaverse
- Equity Crowdfunding, P2P Lending, Digital Fractured Asset Ownership, Wallets
- APIs, Online Platforms, Cloud Technologies, Edge/Fog Computing
- 3D Printing, 5G, Web 3.0
Case studies researched
- Artificial Intelligence: Predict asset price movements/freight rates, macro indicators, AML policies, psychology behavioural analytics, back office operations.
- Blockchain: Securities settlements, international trade clearing, smart contracts, commodity traceability, digital ID.
- Cryptocurrencies: Tokens (ICOs, STOs, NFTs), FIAT tokens, KYC issues, crypto ecosystem.
- Crowdfunding: Equity/debt, institutional/retail, reward/charity, industry applications.
- Virtual/Augmented Reality: Robo advisory, virtual office/business.
- 3D Printing: end consumer local manufacturing, additive printing economies.
- Online Platforms: APIs, Online marketplaces, freight/energy exchanges, lending platforms, commodity trade, electronic bill of lading, electronic letter of credit, open banking
- 5G: Free ultra-fast broadband for everyone.
George Politis has a combined 25 year experience in Ship Management and Finance. Since 2010, he is CEO of Capital Securities, a regulated global brokerage / asset management firm, operating in 25 EU countries, members of the Athens Exchange. Prior to that, he was CEO at ANPO Shipping, a family-owned ship owning/management group, operating a large specialized sugar carrying fleet. Earlier in his career, he was involved in equity and alternatives research and trading in the family office and in shipping software development. He started out as a shipbroker in the group’s London office.
He grew up in Piraeus, studied in Shipping and Finance at Southampton (BSc), Cardiff (MSc) and London/Cass (MSc), Fintech at Oxford/Said (Executive), and is currently a member of the Abundance Programme at Singularity University (Silicon Valley). Since 2017, he is an ambassador and mentor for City, University of London.
He created the Fintech in Shipping, Energy, Trade & Finance course at Bayes Business School and is a lecturer for the MSc Programmes at the Costas Grammenos Shipping Centre.