Backing ambitious entrepreneurs
The Entrepreneurship Fund is a £10 million venture capital fund, providing growth equity to early stage companies. The Fund also offers general support and incubation facilities, on a case-by-case basis, for the most promising high-potential businesses.
The Fund was established in 2010 with the generous support of Peter Cullum CBE, one of Bayes' most successful entrepreneurs.
Visit our dedicated microsite to learn more about our investment criteria and process: Entrepreneurship Fund microsite
The Entrepreneurship Fund can act as a sole investor or as a lead or minority co-investor with other institutions, funds or private angel investors. We will typically circle a level of funds for follow-on investment rounds, which will be considered on a case by case basis as the company grows.
Visit our dedicated Fund microsite to learn more about current investment and portfolio company activity.
Investment criteria and process
- Entrepreneurs of all backgrounds will be considered for funding - not only those graduated from Bayes Business School.
- Initial investments typically range from £250,000 to £1,000,000, depending on the stage of the development, structure and financing requirements of the investee company.
- The Fund tends to invest in businesses which have generated some revenue traction, and are seeking early-stage growth or development capital.
- The Fund may act as a sole investor or as a co-investor with other institutions, funds or private angel investors. A level of funds will be retained for follow-on funding, which will be considered on a case by case basis.
- The Fund has a cross-sector investment remit, but requires that businesses are headquartered in the UK.
The Fund has a small, adaptable investment team which is not bound by some of the bureaucracy you may find with other institutional funders.
- As a first step, we advise familiarising yourself with our criteria and process on the Fund microsite.
- Send us a business plan and we can take discussions forward from there.
- As a Fund, we manage a formal investment process and you should expect a level of commercial and financial due diligence as well as standard legal documentation. We approach diligence and documentation in a thorough but cost-effective manner.
- Once an investment has been finalised we look to build a close relationship with the investee company and will appoint a non-executive director and/or an observer to the Board. The investee company will be expected to provide monthly commercial and financial updates to the Investment Team, and to implement a formal board structure if one is not already in place.
The Centre can offer a level of flexible work space to the most ambitious entrepreneurial companies and individuals at Bayes.
Resident companies benefit from pro-bono access to desk space, meeting rooms (subject to availability and on a reasonable use basis), Bayes resources and support from the Entrepreneurship Fund team and their networks.